Thursday, October 23, 2008

A day in Lullwater...written Aug. 2008

A warm but breezy day seemed like a good time to visit Emory’s Lullwater preserve off of Clifton Road. With over 130 acres, Lullwater began as a Piedmont forest, became hunting ground for Cherokee and Creek nations, and then became home to the European American settlers. In 1958 Emory acquired the land from Walter Candler (youngest son of Coca Cola investor Asa Candler), including his residence, landscaped grounds, and its artificial lake. Emory has undertaken the task to preserve the land as a recreational site, forest, and home for Emory’s president. Not an easy task, the preserve, which is surrounded by the Emory campus, Yerkes Primate Center, Atlanta Veterans Medical Center, and Druid Hills residential area, faces threats of pollution from uncontainable forces outside the park.
Being the summer, there were few student joggers and Frisbee players enjoying the trails and fields in Lullwater. There were some community members and Emory employees taking advantage of the weather and lush green space. Entering the gates, I marveled at the fact that the first time I entered the park was my sophomore year. And I only visited twice that year. I tried to make up for lost time last year as a junior, and will probably continue into my last year at Emory. Faced with “the end” makes one appreciate a place more than usual, I believe.
My goal was to see the new 210 foot long suspension bridge designed by Sahale LLC and completed May 2008. It was built to connect the Veteran’s Medical Center to the Emory campus. As I walked toward the bridge I couldn’t help noticing the smell of the blooming Magnolia trees, the call of the birds, and the beauty of trees that never cease to make me stop and soak in the view. I saw two hawks chasing each other. Near the lake a profusion of dragonflies were flying about, and possible mating? They were moving too fast for me to tell. I had a run in with a couple yellow jackets and a spider, while I like some bugs not all are as tolerable.
Evidence of Georgia’s drought was present in the drying grass and some yellowing leaves on lower bushes. The water level in the lake was also low. I stood near the lake edge with its stagnant brown water, I wondered what the lake looked like in 1925 when Walter Candler would boat around the lake with family or friends and then go to his horse racing track to spend time with his horses. Would Walter Candler like the changes of Lullwater? How much will Lullwater change in eighty more years?
I stopped wandering about and headed straight for the bridge. Nestled into the trees, the bridge seems to disturb none of the wildlife or surrounding area. I was amazed by its height and length. It’s as tall as the trees and stretches from one bank of the South Fork Peachtree Creek to another. I tentatively stepped onto the bridge because a friend had told me it bounced. It doesn’t bounce high per se, the bridge just adds a little spring to your step. I walked across it several times thinking about the work that went into this bridge. I’m proud of Emory’s decision to build a low-environmental impact bridge that will last for generations.
Few people have heard about Lullwater’s suspension bridge. Although it has already been featured in several publications, including the Atlanta Journal Constitution, many students will return in the fall oblivious to another feature of our treasured Lullwater. It’s a shame that others don’t go out and appreciate the benefits of Emory’s green spaces. Running, hiking, Frisbee games, yoga, meditation, and just spending time outside will improve your physical and mental health, not to mention your spirit. Who can deny the beauty of flowering plants or wildlife in the natural habitat? So take a trip outdoors, embrace the bugs, spring on the bridge, and enjoy the little moments that make a good day.

No comments: